Subscriber and fellow Cajun Clickers Computer Club member Tommy Minton wrote with a great tip, if you ever run into this issue with VIPRE:
Terry, on your recommendation, some months ago I purchased Vipre from Sunbelt Software.
It has worked like a charm until yesterday.
Maybe the following will ease the minds of other folks.
I started getting the notification "Risk Definitions update has been canceled." That will scare the heck out of you!
I went to the Sunbelt site and found a chat that says:
When a glitch happens, upstream during download, part of a definition file may be corrupted. When this happens the next definition file will not load correctly.
To remedy the situation:
Open VIPRE. Click on "File." Then "Settings." On the next screen look under "Update" and find the rectangle with "Completely Refresh My Definitions."
Click on it and your definitions should start downloading again.
That should take care of the problem. It did it for me.
Keep "Terry’s Computer Tips" coming !
Tommy Minton C.C.C.C.
Thanks for the great tip, Tommy. I haven’t run in to the issue, but I’ll keep it in mind, too.
I think that’s probably one of the first things I would try, anyway, if I had a problem.