Longtime subscriber Scott Adler wrote this week to ask:
I am looking for a free program which will give me the capability to fill in/amend a PDF form. Know of a simple one for this old dolt???
PS I sure like Viper–and I rate mail washer pro far above the other two spam destroyers I previously tried.
I wrote back to Scott to tell him the good news.
I think Scott is already using the right program — he may just need to update to the current version. Foxit Reader is a free PDF reader that I’ve been using for a while, after having computer stability problems with Adobe Reader 8 (CPU jumps to 100% when Adobe’s automatic updater starts — and version 8 removed the user’s ability to not do automatic updates).
From the Foxit web site:
Foxit Reader itself is free. The critical add-ons are free while advanced add-ons have a reasonable cost. For example, you can use the following functions for free:
- View or print PDF document
- Add or edit bookmarks in a PDF file if the security settings allow
Basic PDF form operations i.e. filling out PDF forms and printing them out
- Advanced PDF form operations, such as saving filled-out forms and import/export forms, free for personal and non-personal usage
- View PDF as text
- Critical add-ons, such as UI language package, JPEG2000/JBIG decoder, CJK package, GDI+ for early Windows version, etc
So, it looks like there are add-ons for Foxit Reader that you can download and use for free, which will let you fill out the PDF form and print it. Foxit Reader v2.3 is the latest version.
What more could you need?
- Adobe Reader 8 Problems – And a Change to Foxit Reader
- Adobe Reader Versions and When to Upgrade
- What is CPU Usage and How Can I Reduce It?
The other programs that Scott mentioned were: