After last week’s email newsletter, long-time friend, subscriber and open-source fan Ron Spruell wrote about his HTML email problem with Thunderbird:
There is something wrong with your html code, my computer, or someone in the email chain messed with your code.
I wrote back to Ron to tell him that I’m going to have to go with “his computer.” My newsletter came through clearly in Eudora 7.1, Eudora OSE, and Outlook 2007.
Ron didn’t mention which email client he used because I knew that he used Thunderbird for his email client. I suggested that perhaps he had set Thunderbird to display emails as Text.
Ron wrote back with an interim report:
Definitely my computer. I can’t figure out what is going on. I am using Thunderbird. I just received another html email from some one else and I can read it.
I can view your newsletter on another computer with Thunderbird in html.
My computer must have dropped a 1 or 0.
And, then he followed that with the solution:
I ran Thunderfix. That fixed it. Now I can read the html. What a pain.
Thanks, Ron. I didn’t know about Thunderfix.
Since I’ve finally switched from Eudora v7.1 to Eudora OSE (Open Source Edition) v1.0, which is Thunderbird with the Eudora interface laid over it, I’ll keep it in mind. As soon as I tried the final release, I liked it.
That’s two big changes for me this week. I ran Eudora OSE as my primary email for a couple weeks and switched to it this week. Then, I’ve been using PopFile for my spam filtering for a couple years. I’d tried a couple earlier versions of Mailwasher (I ran them in series with PopFile). But, PopFile has been giving me some troubles lately.
That opened the door to Mailwasher Pro 2010, the newest version. When I tried it, I liked it. I’ve switched my main computer (the others will follow) and my family’s computers to Mailwasher Pro 2010.