I received a question recently from someone who was having problems logging into a web site.
The problem was that she was never getting to the login dialog box that should be presented by her web browser (IE, Firefox or Opera), the one in which you put your user ID and password.
I suspect that she had a Temporary Internet Files problem or a Cookies problem, so I told her how to resolve them.
With Internet Explorer, the easiest way to delete the Temporary Internet Files is:
- Start Internet Explorer
- IE 7 — From the Menu bar,
- Tools > Delete Browsing History
- IE6, you have to go through Tools > Internet Options
- General Tab
Temporary Internet FIles
Click on Delete Cookies, click OK
Click on Delete Files, click OK
With Firefox, the process is similarly easy:
- Start Firefox
- Tools > Clear Private Data
- Check Cache and Cookies (go ahead and check everything, if you want),
- then click "Clear Private Data Now"